Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Preventing Short-Sightedness

I have just realized that my eyesight has become poorer. I cannot see clearly even with my glasses on. I am becoming more short sighted now, maybe due to spending too much time on reading and staring at computer.

How ironic. Myopia or short-sightedness, could occur because a person did not spend enough time outdoors in his or her childhood, as study published in Optometry and Vision Science. Myopia has become increasingly common now, as a result of children spending more time indoors now, and their eyes do not learn to focus on faraway objects during the stage of eye development.

So do not allow your children to watch tv or play computer games for a long time. Allow them 2 to 3 hours a day playing outside, as this is the recommended amount.

--------------
For reference
Optometry and Vision Science

No comments: